Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Depend on the Lord

Listen to the Word of the Lord in Psalm 127:1-2...

Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.

Each day I live I become more aware of how utterly dependent I am upon God. I truly can do nothing apart from Him. The things I thought I did in the past were just God working through me.

I know because of reason. Why would the God who simply spoke the world into existence need my help? Second, I know this because of experience. I have failed repeatedly to accomplish anything in ministry. Only when I become completely dependant upon the Lord and seek His working through prayer have I seen great things happen in ministry. Third, I know because of scripture. Psalm 127 clearly describes the vanity of working apart from the Lord.

Wherever God as called you to serve in the church, humble yourself and ask the Lord to work through you. It is only when we become completely dependent upon Him that we are able to experience His blessing. Jesus told the disciples to wait until they received power from Holy Spirit, then they were to be His witnesses. Just as they were not to go out and try to serve apart from the enabling of the Holy Spirit, you and I are not to try to serve God apart from His enabling through the Holy Spirit.

A common saying is: "pray like everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you." This is a good saying so long as we keep it in order and we pray before we work. This week why not commit to pray earnestly before attempting to do anything for the Lord?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruther

This is good. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. This just what I needed today. Keeping the MAIN THING THE MAIN THING!

until,

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP